<> " / characters replaced in the template editor

Hello.

First of all, let me say that I’m a huge fan of CCS and I’ve used it extensively for years, across multiple websites. I can’t thank @eliot enough for having enabled me to create sophisticated websites without having to face the complexity of PHP.

I’ve now started the process of converting one of those websites from CSS to L&L.

I have both plug-ins installed in the same WP 5.8. L&L is version 2.3.0

In my understanding, differently from CCS, L&L tags cannot be used in ordinary WP pages, but can only be recognized inside an L&L template. And then you invoke the template with a shortcode in ordinary WP pages. (if this is incorrect, please somebody correct me)

According to this, I have copied one of my pages with CCS shortcodes and pasted it inside a new L&L template. Then slowly replaced the CCS shortcodes with L&L tags.

When I save, leave the editor, and come back, all tag characters are modified.

For example, a tag like <Note> becomes &lt;/Note&gt;.

It’s not just L&L tags. Everything gets modified. Something like <div class="test">

becomes &amp;amp;lt;div class=&amp;amp;quot;test&amp;amp;quot;&amp;amp;gt;

It’s clearly unusable in this way.

I have a lot of other plug-ins installed in the system, but I am not sure if any of them is causing the problem. For example, I have the Classic Editor 1.6.2 installed. I tried to disable it, but it changes nothing.

I also have wautop 1.3.0. but disabling its filtering for the L&L template type doesn’t seem to have any effect.

Thanks for any help.

Hello @S1S2,

Thank you for the kind words, and the issue report.

From the description, I believe some other plugin is filtering the template content during save, and corrupting those characters. The text transformation as described is called “escaping HTML entities”.

I recommend deactivating all plugins, and activating them one by one to find which plugin is responsible. It sounds like “wpautop” could be related, since it’s about content filtering.

In my understanding, differently from CCS, L&L tags cannot be used in ordinary WP pages, but can only be recognized inside an L&L template. And then you invoke the template with a shortcode in ordinary WP pages.

Yes, exactly. I’m preparing a documentation page about migrating from CCS to L&L, so I’ll make sure to include that information.

Thanks for the quick reply. After some testing, I found the root cause of the problem.

In the Users section, I had flagged the option Disable the visual editor when writing in the Visual Editor section of the user I’m using.