Pass Variable to Template

Is there a method to pass a variable to a L&L template via the template shortcode (like passing variables to standard shortcodes)? I am trying to pass a post_id to template to then use in the loop parameters within the template.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Hello, thank you for the question.

Currently there’s no direct way to pass variables to a template via the shortcode - but that does sound useful. Probably the simplest way to support this is by making shortcode attributes available in the template as variables. Something like:

[template id=1 post_id=123]

…which could be used from the template like:

<Get post_id />

…or more practically:

<Loop type=post id="{Get post_id}">
</Loop>

OK, I’ve made a note to implement this, and will let you know when it’s ready.

1 Like

Awesome. And that is exactly what I was referring to and fits my use case exactly.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hello - In the newest version, the Template tag (and shortcode) passes its attributes as “local variables” to the template.

Local variables is a new feature also, briefly documented here: https://loop.tangible.one/tags/get#local-variable

Basically, they exist only within a template post (or file) - so they don’t affect other templates that use the same variable names. It works with the Get and Set tag, using the local attribute.

So, if the shortcode is:

[template id=1 post_id=123]

…the variable can be used like:

<Get local=post_id />

<Loop type=post id="{Get local=post_id}">

I’d love to hear if that works for you.

2 Likes

Hello,

Using an attribute in the [Template] shortcode for the first time, it works fine for me.

Very handy feature to use the same template in various situations by varying a value.
It would worth to add it to the doc: :slightly_smiling_face:
https://docs.loopsandlogic.com/82/template?category_id=62#shortcode

@avanti this functionality is already documented on that page you linked to, but I just added a short sentence to the shortcode section to remind people to read the paragraph just above it about local variables. Let me know if you think anything about that page is unclear and I’d be happy to rework it.

1 Like

Hi @benjamin,

Yes true, and thanks for having added a reminder in the Shortcode part:

It would be like a repetition, but maybe adding a shortcode + variable example would make the thing even more obvious for impatient readers: :wink:

[Template id=123 my_variable=some_value]
1 Like

Following this thread, i’m trying to evaluate the shortcode variable in a Switch condition, it always returns the same result:

The template:

region: <Get local=region />

<Switch variable=region>
  <When value="bayOfPlenty" />
  <When value="wellington" />
  <When />
</Switch>

2 shortcodes with different variable values:

[template name=my-shortcode region=bayOfPlenty] projects
[template name=my-shortcode region=wellington] projects

region: <Get local=region /> returns the variable values alright but then the 1st condition is always returned:

region: bayOfPlenty 150
region: wellington 150

It should be:

region: bayOfPlenty 150
region: wellington 10

I also tried:

<Switch region>
<Switch field="region">

I’m a bit lost, any idea please?

Hi @avanti! The Switch tag works with the same core conditions as the If tag, so you might want to take a look at those here. In your case, you’ve used <Switch region="{Get local=region}"> but region is not a valid condition. You could try using check in this case. Using variable makes sense, but I think that only works with regular variables, not local variables, so that’s why it doesn’t work in this instance. Using field wouldn’t work since you’re not working with data from a field. Hope that helps!

1 Like

Hi @benjamin,

Thanks for your help.
Sorry, i’m lost, i have changed my initial code above in the meantime… i will follow your leads.

Here’s my latest code:

region: <Get local=region /><br>

<If variable="region" exists>
  variable exists<br>
<Else />
  variable doesn't exist<br>
</If>

<Switch check="{Get local=region}">
  <When is value=bayOfPlenty />
  <When is value=wellington />
  <When />
</Switch>

It returns:

region: bayOfPlenty
variable doesn’t exist

region: wellington
variable doesn’t exist

At least 2 different values, but not correct for wellington

check was a good advice, but weird that it works with If and not with Switch:

<Get local=region /><br>

<If check="{Get local=region}" is value="bayOfPlenty">
<Else if check="{Get local=region}" is value="wellington" />
<Else />
</If><br>

<When is value="bayOfPlenty" />
  <When is value="wellington" />
  <When />
</Switch>

Output:

bayOfPlenty

wellington
1 Like

I use to transfer a local into a variable. Then all of this works fine.
<Set myvar><Get local=region /></Set> <Switch variable=myvar> <When value="bayOfPlenty" /> ....

2 Likes

Thank you @PolarRacing, it works indeed with a transitional “regular variable” as said @benjamin (which the local variable passed in the shortcode is not).

I thought of it and tried but wasn’t able to make it work, my L&L syntax wasn’t correct.
So, thanks much for bringing an example!

Here’s my code now:

<Get local=region /><br>

<Set the_region><Get local=region /></Set>

<Switch variable=the_region>
  <When />
</Switch>

The output:

bayOfPlenty

wellington

And, beyond this topic but that was the final goal, the complete template to return dynamically the total number of posts for a given Taxonomy term passed in the shortcode:

<Set the_region><Get local=region /></Set>

<Switch variable=the_region>
    <Loop type=project taxonomy=region terms=bay-of-plenty></Loop>
    <Loop type=project taxonomy=region terms=wellington></Loop>
  <When />
    Not a region
</Switch>

<Get loop=previous_total /> Projects

The shortcode:

[template name=my-shortcode region=bayOfPlenty] Posts

The output:

152 Posts

I think there might be an issue with Switch and When when you specify a comparison. It seems that when you don’t specify a comparison (which should use is as the comparison by default anyway, which is what you’re trying to do), everything works, as you’ve shown in your last example here.

Setting another variable within your template shouldn’t be necessary since you can just use check="{Get local=region}". The only reason your other template above wasn’t working seems to be because of the is in <When is value="wellington" />. If you get rid of that and just write <When value="wellington" />, it seems to work as you’d expect. So I think the most efficient markup to do what you’re trying to do would be something like this since it avoids setting a second variable unnecessarily:

<Loop type=project taxonomy=region terms=bay-of-plenty></Loop>
    <Loop type=project taxonomy=region terms=wellington></Loop>
  <When />
    Not a region
</Switch>

<Get loop=previous_total /> Projects

I’ve started documenting this for the devs so we’ll look into why Switch and When seems not to work when you specify a comparison or try using one other than is. I’m not sure exactly what the issue is here but I’ll report back here with more info.

This is refinement, bravo and thank you @benjamin !

1 Like